Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Eating Locally, Day 2
Progress report: So I've been cheating and having some black coffee to drink. I also cheated yesterday and ate some leftovers so they wouldn't go bad--an apple pear from Chile, and some leftover chocolate truffle custard cake from my birthday (still apparently good)--with ingredients from who-knows-where.

At work, apart from the apple pear, I snacked on some almonds and a cucumber. For dinner, Rahul and I ate really well! I don't know all the details, since he cooked, but we had diced, oven-roasted red potatoes, stir-fried pea sprouts, steamed carrots and broccoli, and scrambled eggs with onions. I think everything except oil, salt, and pepper was local. We've been saving the local Bariani oil for dressing and other raw purposes, and cooking food in the cheaper imported oil from the giant tin can.

For breakfast today, we had some more oven-roasted diced potatoes, Yukon Gold this time. I'm eating my lunch right now: Romaine lettuce with Pink Lady apples, cucumber, and hard-boiled egg, tossed with the leftover dressing (lemon juice, olive oil, shallots, oregano, salt, pepper). I still have half the apple to snack on, and I brought some beans and almonds to work with me as well. Rahul made some rice last night with carrots, Lundberg Farms rice, and olives (not sure what else is in it) and I brought the leftovers--I don't think I'll be hungry after this salad, though.

We're going through potatoes like crazy; I think we drastically underestimated the amount of starch we eat. We may have used up all our potatoes already, although we still have some sweet potatoes to use. I saw a recipe in The Vegetarian Epicure for roasted sweet potatoes with green tomatoes that sounded interesting. I may make a variation on that using some of my frozen green tomatoes and roasting them into a sweet and sour relish.

Also, giving up coffee/tea is next to impossible. I hung up some pineapple sage leaves to dry, so I can make an infusion from those, but I think I may just have to claim coffee and tea as an exemption.

Mom wants to go out to dinner tonight. I'm torn. Maybe I can find someplace with locally sourced foods that's cheaper than Chez Panisse (the only place I can think of offhand).

No comments: