Tuesday, March 25, 2003

I roasted purple asparagus from the farmer's market last night--tossed in olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper, and put into a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. I fried two eggs sunny-side-up to go along with the asparagus, and had a messy delicious feast, dipping the sweet, juicy, sizzling asparagus spears (the thinner ones overcooked and turned back to green) into the soft runny egg yolk and wrapping the slightly browned bits of white around the stem before taking a big bite... my hands were covered in extra-virgin olive oil and salt and pepper and egg by the time I was done, but oh, it was good. (Rahul said, "You're like a little kid! You're so excited!" or something to that effect, watching me eat.)

I also made a salad with some of the half-pound bag of salad greens with edible flowers that I got at the farmer's market. Tossed it with tuna and a lemon-juice vinaigrette. Unremarkable but tasty.

And I had a slice of the frangipane strawberry tart, which surprisingly seemed better the next day--perhaps just because I wasn't so hyped up with anticipation. Michael Baker came over and deemed it my "best creation yet."

And I also had one Dreyer's coconut frozen fruit bar. Those are my new addiction--they're so rich and creamy! I hope they're not too bad for you (coconut oil medium-chain fatty acids and all that).

No comments: